How to Fix "Connections to SQL Server files (*.mdf) require SQL Server Express 2005 to function properly."

I have a 64-bit PC with Windows 7 and Visual Studio 2008 with SP1 installed on it. When I tried to add new a SQL Server 2008 express database into the App_Data folder of my Website project I got the following error:

"Connections to SQL Server files (*.mdf) require SQL Server Express 2005 to function properly. Please verify the installation of the component of download from the URL:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=49251"


This problem occurs because Visual Studio 2008 SP1 incorrectly detects some registry keys for a 64-bit installation of SQL Server Express 2008. To fix this issue I had to download a hotfix for Visual Studio 2008 which is available HERE.

kick it on DotNetKicks.com

blog comments powered by Disqus